Author Topic: Donor car for sale: 1973 FIAT 850 Spider (restored body)  (Read 2184 times)

terry.kane

• Contributor
Donor car for sale: 1973 FIAT 850 Spider (restored body)
« on: August 25, 2010, 02:16:36 PM »
Sadly I need to sell my project car due to space and funding issues.  This is a great donor car for a lightweight EV conversion.  It's a yellow 1973 FIAT 850 Spider roadster (2-seater).  It's a steal at $1,200 for a fellow FVEAA'er.

I bought the car in 2005 and drove it that summer as an ICE car; at that time I upgraded the ignition and cooling system but an oil pan gasket leak took it off the road and I've not done much with it since then.  The car was fully restored by a previous owner and that means NO RUST; the body, interior and mechanicals are in outstanding shape (for its age).  The brakes do need to have the lines re-filled and bled, otherwise it's essentially driveable once the oil pan gasket is repaired.

The GVW on this car is just 1600 pounds and, though it's quite small, it has a surprising amount of space for batteries and systems.  It's a rear engine, water-cooled configuration currently with a 950cc 4-cylinder engine.  I believe the car is a great candidate for a lithium battery conversion; a WARP-9 is more than sufficient and lithiums will keep the weight down, yielding a super-low KWH/mile and good range.

Included in the sale will be a roll bar that I never installed but was intended to stiffen the body and provide attachment for 3-point seatbelts (presently lap-only).  Also included will be everything I have bought such as manuals and other documentation, spare clutch, car cover, stereo/CD/MP3 with remote panel (due to limited dashboard).  My icon is a front-on photo and I can provide more photos on request or come and see the car; it's presently at Ted Lowe's place but will soon be moved to Bartlett.  Please contact me if interested or with questions at 630-776-1405 or email terrypk-at-yahoo-dot-com.