Author Topic: Amp Electric Vehicles  (Read 1826 times)

rich.carroll

• Veteran
Amp Electric Vehicles
« on: April 15, 2011, 06:50:18 PM »
Yesterday, I was invited to a press briefing and ride-n-drive of a conversion vehicle offered by Amp Electric.  Amp Electric is from the Cincinnati, Ohio area, and has been in business for a couple of years, initially converting Saturn Skys and Pontiac Solstices.  They have now focused their attention on the conversion of modest sized SUV's as their market research shows this to be a highly desirable vehicle for a large percentage of our population.

Their conversions now use a Chevrolet Equinox, and convert to a full EV, using twin Remy AC motors and a 37 kWh pack of Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFEPO4) prismatic batteries.  With this package they are advertising a 120 mile range.  They brought their Equinox electric in for the members of the Midwest Auto Media Association to see at their spring event. 

The active participants in the company all seem to be retired executives from the major auto manufacturers, with most coming from GM. They were discussing upcoming fleet orders, from DTE energy a Detroit based diversified energy company, and from Iceland where gasoline costs over $8 a gallon, and electricity is around $0.01 per kWH. 

I test drove the Equinox, and found it to be a very professional conversion with a very polished look under the hood and in the mechanicals.  They do not modify the interior in any way, retaining the entire GM dash, radio, etc. Their Equinox is about 300 lbs heavier than the Chevrolet model it is based on, but the weight distribution is almost exactly the same percentage front/rear.

They discussed future plans and hope to announce two additional SUV partners next week. 

I'll have the press packet at the meeting this month, if you want to see more, or you can go their website at:

http://www.ampelectricvehicles.com/

Rich Carroll                           rc@rc.to

todd.dore

• Veteran
Re: Amp Electric Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 03:55:34 AM »
Interesting conversions.  I didn't see a price anywhere, however.  Plus, it would be a miracle to get a conversion in about 2 weeks.

rich.carroll

• Veteran
Re: Amp Electric Vehicles
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 12:50:06 PM »
They admit that they have only built 'a handful' and that the finished vehicle will cost about $50,000 when everything is added.  They are rather specific in the options they need or don't need.  For example, they don't want to use a 6 cylinder original, as they can't work with that power steering pump.  You have to supply them (or order through their Chevy dealer) the Equinox, and they state in their price that it 'it depends on what options you order for the Equinox.'  The trim level that normally includes all the high end options comes as a package with the V-6, so you have to add the options separately. 

Their balance sheet indicates the income of just over $50,000 last year.  I'll assume that was two conversions. They appear/announced that they have several pending large contracts.
Rich Carroll                           rc@rc.to