Author Topic: Plug-in problems  (Read 1934 times)

john.emde

• Contributor
Plug-in problems
« on: February 17, 2011, 08:01:34 PM »
Here is a link to the Tribune article (Feb. 16, 2011) about the potential “Plug-in problem” with some of the new electric vehicles coming to market in the near future. Just when we thought J1772 was the answer.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-0216-charging-stations-20110216,0,4310432.story

todd.dore

• Veteran
Re: Plug-in problems
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 03:30:48 AM »
A few key items either missing or inconsistent with what I've heard through other sources:

- Coulomb Tech sells DC fast chargers for about $45k.  Not sure where the $65k for metro Chicago comes from.
- Level II chargers are about $6,500 each for the most expensive (again, Coulomb).  Cheap Level IIs are about $1,500.  Not sure where the $10k comes from.
- The majority of the money paid for the chargers will not come from the City of Chicago or the grant.  It will be paid by investors that will determine how to set up a payment scheme - either with the users or the hosts - and where they will be placed.
- The fast charging and J1772-2010 technology is not going away anytime soon.  There is simply too much $$ invested by OEMs (tens of billions of $ already spent on R&D) for these EVs to have a patch-work of plugs.  Every car will be able to use a standard plug (level I, II, and DC-fast), or it will not sell in the long run.

If the article outlined these items, there wouldn't be such negative reaction.

bruce.lanzerotti

• /Users/lanzerotti/Desktop/IMG_0113.JPG
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 01:37:34 PM »
I emailed Julie, the writer, with many of the same comments you presented here.
Bruce
Live long and prosper

dave.aarvold

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 11:48:35 PM »
great article! i love the way the big 3 in us are getting their lunch handed to them over and over......i still have yet to see the word volt and hybrid in the same sentance! with gas on the upsurge again this green fest becomes even more important-tnks todd! also since the elgin show is the weekend before we can train! see ya da