Author Topic: Home-builts done right & with apparently unlimited resources  (Read 3086 times)

terry.kane

• Contributor
Home-builts done right & with apparently unlimited resources
« on: January 21, 2010, 11:07:56 PM »
Has anyone seen Mr. Rickard's site or publicized it before?  I apologize if it's old news.

http://web.me.com/mjrickard/

I've seen his Porsche 956 conversion before and the plans for the Clubman, but I don't believe it was on the site above.  I envy this guy's shop, his gear and his cars.  I could do without the beer gut and yellow crocs...

todd.dore

• Veteran
Re: Home-builts done right & with apparently unlimited resources
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 02:08:21 AM »
This guy has been having lively discussions on the Thunder-Sky list serv stating that you don't need a BMS to prevent over-charging Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries, you just charge them each once to 4.2V, then upon charging the whole pack make sure they don't go above 3.6V.  From what I've read I believe him.

john.emde

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 12:56:57 PM »
That's true that the initial charge is 4.2 volts. When you charge the whole pack, you want to make sure that a cell does not go above 3.6 volts.  Now, how are you going to do that without a BMS ?  Monitor each cell by hand with a volt meter ?  Then when you find a cell that has reached 3.6 volts, turn off the charger ?  This could be at 2:30 in the morning.   That is what a BMS does for you.  It monitors each cell and cuts off the charger when the first cell gets to 3.6 volts.  It also works the other way.  During discharging (driving)  when a cell gets down to its low limit  ~2.6 volts, the BMS sends a signal to cut back the controller to some slower speed so one can safely get off the road.  Without BMS, a cell or cells can go down below their low limit and be destroyed before you know it.  There are many kinds of  BMS,  from simple high and low monitoring to ones that have warning lights and buzzers, etc. to ones that also try to keep cells in balance. Prices range all over the map.

todd.dore

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 01:32:33 AM »
from what I've read the low voltage BMS feature is the most important.  For the High Voltage, once all the cells are initially balanced, what is the likelihood that a cell would get so out of wack that it goes up to 4.2V when all the others are only at 3.6V?  If they get that much out of balance then that's a scary thought for pack longevity (there goes your $10k!)

I think a simple BMS module on each cell, for say $10, should be able to do the trick.  This would add maybe 8% more to the cost of your system and would be worth the cell protection.  The tough part would be wiring them all to a control unit which both backs off the controller (for low voltage) and backs off the charger (for high voltage).  I would not be able to come up with such a unit from scratch but could potentially install one that has been already developed.