Author Topic: 12 EV's for 2012!!!  (Read 3488 times)

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
12 EV's for 2012!!!
« on: January 04, 2012, 05:46:58 PM »
Imagine... a dozen EVs for sale in US showrooms THIS YEAR!!! Yahoo.....

money.cnn.com/galleries/2012/autos/1201/gallery.electric-hybrid-cars.fortune/?hpt=hp_c2

Weigh in folks... like/dislikes, plans, etc.

First my likes... 12! EVs and all major car makers and advanced technology!!!  Dislikes... costs too high still, products on the earlier engineering/technology curve and some of them are *u*g*l*y* imo!

i'm getting closer to buying/building a longer range EV.  My goal is have an EV that can drive from Wheaton to Chicago (or perhaps Todd Dore's house, Ken Simmermon's house, Pioneer Conversions, etc.:-) and back without a charge 12 months of the year.  So... 75+ miles per charge with thermally protected batteries.    With all the EV products available (or soon), this opens up some new options... 

Happy New Year!!!

tim.moore

• Veteran
Re: 12 EV's for 2012!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 01:04:25 AM »
Given the fact that my recent experience at vehicle emissions, was revenge* of the electric car, I wish I had my electric back.  My gas car passed, but on the way home it chugged like bad gas  but it was not--$600 I found it needed a major tune up.
  12 EV!!!  who would of ever thought that would happen ten years ago.  I still would vote for a Volt or hybrid, all electric does not fit my driving pattern.
*Revenge of the electric car  because I have been upset for sometime that I did not know I should of changed the brushes in the DC motor of my electric car after every 20,000 miles, and as a result got stranded twice.  With my gas car, if I would of properly read the manual I would of known to change the spark plugs after 30,000 miles.  My revenge of the electric car experience was telling me "see maintenance is the key in both gas and electric cars."
Go EV!!!

todd.dore

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 03:35:43 AM »
The article is encouraging.  Only a few of these models will really be available for purchase in the US.  However, we will be seeing more and more cars on the road.  It would be great if FVEAA members represented the available models in the article.

chuck.carrington

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 02:25:18 PM »
I am sure that waiting is the smart thing to do as there will be more selection and improvements made and hopefully prices will come down. Unfortunatly I want to replace my car now so I have a Leaf on order and expect to get it in March. I dragged my feet a little trying to find out more about other cars esp. the Focus, but from what I have seen so far I am glad I went ahead with the Leaf. I guess someone has to buy the first ones if there are going to be second generation models.

Chuck

bruce.lanzerotti

• /Users/lanzerotti/Desktop/IMG_0113.JPG
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 03:46:44 PM »
If anyone is interested, there is a EV Car company that wants to relocate to the US and is looking for investors. I'm trying to convince the President of the company to set up shop here is the Chicago area. The company is called Axon Automotive:   http://www.axonautomotive.com  They have some major financial commitments, but need the processing fees. If your interested, let me know and I'll give you the President's contact information.
Bruce
Live long and prosper

stephen.grushas

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 02:37:22 AM »
On Dec. 20, 2011 , I went to Soldier Field to Ford's "Power of Choice" and liked what ford is coming out with. They are going to offer the public choices-- All battery, Plug-in hybrid, Hybrid, etc. Their sales dept. Will ask you what your driving patterns are and then suggest the car that best suits your needs. They are going to give the public a CHOICE.
I agree with other club members that I am going to wait and see what comes out but I am going to watch Ford!!

geoffrey.pullinger

• Geoff Pullinger Website
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 06:00:01 PM »
If anyone is interested, there is a EV Car company that wants to relocate to the US and is looking for investors. I'm trying to convince the President of the company to set up shop here is the Chicago area. The company is called Axon Automotive:   http://www.axonautomotive.com  They have some major financial commitments, but need the processing fees. If your interested, let me know and I'll give you the President's contact information.
Bruce
I went to the site and checked it out.  I was very impressed!  I especially liked "Axon’s unique carbon fibre beam technology".  In my opinion if we could we should be making cars out of carbon fibre (or fiber as they spell here in the US).  Even ICE powered cars and trucks would benefit from this technology because of the vast reduction in weight, without compromising strength.  I've also noticed articles about plastic and carbon fiber composites being used to make engine blocks and suspension parts.  Being somewhat poor does not put me in the investor category - they are looking for investors with more than $800,000.  But I'm still interested in the progress of this company.